Issue Eight - October 1995
FROM OUR PARLIAMENTARY DEATH-WATCH CORRESPONDENT
The Government's majority in the House of Commons shrunk again over
the summer, despite the lack of any more by-elections. Alan
Howarth, MP for Stratford-upon-Avon, became the first
Conservative MP to switch direct to Labour, and the first since
Christopher Brocklebank-Fowler (Of course I'm not making these
names up! I'd make them much more believable if I was!) joined
the Social Democrats in 1981 to switch at all. I understand that
the button badges stalls at the Conservative Party Conference
the following week did a roaring trade in "Howarth Traitor"
badges, which seemed rather inappropriate in the week that John
Cairncross, the "Fifth Man", and probably the most senior placed
Soviet spy in British Intelligence, died.
The majority is now down to a notional 5, although in practice
Sir Richard Body (elected as a Conservative, but currently
sulking) and, to a lesser extent, the Official Ulster
Unionists(*) can be relied upon to help John Major in any
critical votes. After all, the alternative would be an early
General Election. They have no intention of being, in the words
of Jim Callaghan in 1979, like turkeys voting for an early
And just think of all the fun you Americans are missing out on
by having an executive elected separately from (and hence not
dependant for continuation in office on) the legislature...
(*) Not to be confused with the Democratic Ulster Unionists
(lead by the Reverend Ian "Can ye hear me at the back, mother?"
Paisley), the Independent Unionist sitting for South Down, or
even the Progressive Unionists, with no seats in parliament, but
strong links to the former Unionist paramilitaries.
Forelithe II 3019 (93?? ts??) Downfall XIII
"RICHARD M. JOHNSON"
- DWARVES/GOOD (Mike Gonslaves) :
- 2A(ELi)-Nur, A(DGu) stands, Dain & 2A(Bro)-Dag, A(Bre) S A(FEr),
A(FEr) S A(Bre), A(NMi) stands, A(Fld) stands, A(EWa)-GMo.
- ELVES/GOOD (Donald Scarr) :
- A(Lor)-Aza, A(And) stands, A(CDm)-NDo, F(SOU)-Cit, 3A(Rhu)-Hol,
A(Gun)-Fra, A(Shi) stands, A(Ise)-Dun, A(Fan)-Ise, _F(GUL)-Fld_.
- GANDALF/GOOD (Iain Bowen):
- NMR! Aragorn/Dead(Dru), Gandalf(. . . . . .) stand unordered.
- GONDOR/GOOD (Chris Q. Hardy) :
- F/A(SIt)-SGo, Fa(. . . . . .)-. . . . . ., 2A(Los)-MTi, R(. . .
. . . )-. . . . . ., [[_2A(Osg) D ; A(Osg) S ROHAN A(CAn)-NIt ;
A(Osg)-MMo M C(MMo) stand = A/C(MMo)_]] (no such unit), A(Osg)
stands unordered, C(MMo) stands.
- MORDOR/EVIL (Despair) :
- 2A(NIt), _A(SGo)*_, Lord of the Nazgul/3A(Hrd), A(Kha), A(Hdw),
2A(Udu), _A(Nur)*_, Nazgul(. . . . . . ), Sauron(Oro) all stand
- ROHAN/GOOD (Pete Gaughan) :
- C(Dag)-Wil-RRu, _A(CAn)-NIt_, A(DMa) S A(CAn)-NIt , A(Emy)
stands unordered, [[_A(Nin)-Wol_]] (no such unit),
- SARUMAN/GOOD (Lance Anderson = Despair) :
- NMR2! _A(Hol)*_, A(NiE), A(Min) stand unordered.
- UMBAR/NEUTRAL (Despair) :
- C(Nrd), 2F(ETH) stand unordered.
- MORDORIAN A(SGo) & A(Nur) disband, no retreat ordered.
- SARUMAN A(Hol) disbands, no retreat ordered.
Forelithe III 3019 Adjustments
- DWARVES : Iro, Ere, Blu, Fld, Esg, -RRu, FEr, SRh, DGu, Bre, +Nur
- =10 no change
- ELVES : EKH, Lor, Iml, GHa, Hdn, Crk, And, CDm, Eot, Gun, Shi, Dun, +Cit +Hol +Ise
- =15 +A(GHa), A(EKH), A(Lor).
- GANDALF : +Dru
- =1 1 short, no home s.c.s
- GONDOR : MTi, Pel, +1, DAm, SIt, Osg, Lam, +SGo +MMo
- =9 +F(Pel), A(DAm), A(MTi).
- MORDOR : Bar, Udu, -MMo, -Nur, +6, -SGo, Kha, Hrd.
- =10 1 short, no build ordered
- ROHAN : DHa, Eas, HDe, Wol, EEm, Ano, +RRu
- =7 +A(HDe), A(Eas).
- SARUMAN : -Ise, KDm, -Hol, -Dru.
- =1 g.m. rem A(Min).
- UMBAR : -Cit, Hav, -+1.
- =1 g.m. rem A(Nrd), F(ETH).
- NEUTRAL : Tha. =1
GENEVA : Note the change of address for Iain, as above -- his
e-mail address remains unchanged. The deadline for Afterlithe I
3019 orders, retreats and adjustments is FRIDAY, 24th NOVEMBER,
1995, to Peter Sullivan. E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
There be none.
Finally, as part of my contribution to the Information
Supercliche, this subzeen is now available on the World Wide Web
(As with Jim's ftp site, I think you'll find all those upper and
lower case letters actually matter -- this is Unix, after all.)
This is mainly a web site for information about Manorcon, but I
had a bit of spare capacity, and wanted to test my ability to
write documents in HTML (HyperText Mark-up Language, the "file
format" of the Web), so you should find the last couple of
issues of this subzeen there for browsing as well. Now all I
have to do is actually put some interesting content in...